The following writings are helpful in understanding Classical education:
- The Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers. The seminal work on Classical Christian education.
- Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Douglas Wilson
- The Case for Classical Christian Education by Douglas Wilson
- Repairing the Ruins by Douglas Wilson
- An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents by C. A. Perrin (available through NCA office)
- Wisdom and Eloquence by Robert Littlejohn and Charles T. Evans
- Norms and Nobility by David Hicks
- On Christian Teaching by Augustine
- The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jesse Wise
Find an extended list of recommended classical reading from ACCS here.
Websites of Classical Organizations:
- Society for Classical Learning (SCL)
- CIRCE Institute
- Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS)
The ACCS also puts out a quarterly magazine of classical discussion called:
Websites of Classical Publishers:
Other Excellent Writings:
- The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis. Reflections on education with special reference to the teaching of English in the upper forms of schools.
- An Apology for Latin and Math, an excellent article on the benefits of Latin and Math studies
- What is Classical Rhetoric?
- How To Turn Good Readers into Good Writers Too
- When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper
- Knowing History and Knowing Who We Are by David McCullough. This is a link to an abridged transcript of remarks delivered on February 15, 2005, in Phoenix, Arizona, at a Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar on the topic, “American History and America’s Future.”
- Imprimis the monthly publication from Hillsdale College
- In Defense of Memorization
- A Strategy for Christians in a Post-Christian World, an article by Rod Dreher, adapted from his book The Benedict Option: A Strategy for Christians in a Post-Christian Nation
We also encourage you to visit the websites of other classical Christian schools:
- Logos School in Moscow, Idaho, one of the pioneers of Classical Christian education
- The Ambrose School in Boise, Idaho
- Live Oak Classical School in Waco, TX
- Cary Christian School in Cary, North Carolina
- Covenant Christian Academy in West Peabody, MA